Friday, April 1, 2011

Safety Tip #2 - What to do if... Your baby is choking

Hi Everyone,

This "What to do if " tip has come in handy so often I don't care to remember all the times I used it. Amelie had two full teeth at five months so has been munching away on real food for a long time now... it did make it quite painful to keep the breastfeeding up so long especially once her top teeth came in too. With all of the munching away on food she was doing there were a few times when we were a little scared as she got a large chunk stuck in her throat. Two memorable occasions stand out in my mind, one being when she got a large pieces of cucumber stuck in her throat, it was the first time this had happened to her and she panicked. Thankfully my husband did not he stayed calm and followed the steps I will write below, the food was dislodged, and Amelie was safe and sound. The second time I was feeding Amelie on my own and she was strapped into the high chair. This was particularly scary as I knew I had to unstrap her before I could help dislodge the food, again. I took a few deep breaths and was very proud of myself for doing what I needed to do, Amelie barely knew anything was happening she sat back in her high chair and ate the rest of her dinner... I had a cup of chamomile tea.

If your baby is just gagging a little but or if she has put something in her mouth that she shouldn't you can try just softly squishing her cheek's together a little to force the mouth open and you can then sweep the food out from her mouth. If you can't just sweep it out resist the urge to tap them on the back whist upright my grandmother warned me that this can lodge the food further down in the throat, instead follow the steps below and you should succeed in dislodging the food.

Step 1. Remain calm
Step 2. Pick up the baby and tilt her so her head is facing the ground and is below the bottom
Step 3. Gently tap her on the back (up to five times)

Each time I have used these steps I have succeed in dislodging food from Amelie's throat. I found this You-Tube video that demonstrates these steps and also tells you what do if those three steps do not work. 

You Tube - What to do if a baby is choking

I hope that this helps you have the confidence to feel like you know what to do if your baby starts choking. As always I like to add that I am only a mother not a doctor, first aid training is always a great way to be prepared in case of such emergencies.

Here is to healthy, happy and safe babies,
Angi x

Disclaimer: The information above is not intended as medical advice and is opinion for information only. Always seek advice from a qualified health care professional if you have any questions regarding a medical condition. Do not under any circumstance disregard professional advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of content found on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment